Anyone who has been checking in on my progress during the last six months may know that I’ve had a few stops and starts; from achieving (and enjoying) a certain level of health and fitness, to falling off the wagon (then getting back on again, then doing diddly-squat for a while) to more recently setting a goal of
eating the whole block of cheese running 10km.
It’s nearly here (cue trumpets)! 16 June. Only eight days away, and the day I attempt to run 10km for the first time.
Sorry. I mean – oh dear, that’s not far away!
So in honour of the countdown (did I mention it’s only eight days away?!) below is a bit of a wrap-up of the last couple of weeks.
Otherwise known as: eight random bits of information that you didn’t ask for but are getting anyway:
8. The longest distance run so far. I’ve been doing my long runs on Sundays, and last week managed 8km. There was one teeny-tiny point where I walked briefly, but no-one was around so it doesn’t count (Right? Good. Carry on).
Tomorrow’s goal is 9km (and to also not keel over in the process), followed by 10km on race day.
7. The magic number, apparently. Around the 7km mark during my last two runs something weird happened. It felt OK. For a time my mind was quiet, my breathing felt even, and running didn’t seem like such a struggle. It was so encouraging, and a feeling I want to experience again.
Sidenote: I must admit to getting a tad bit excited at this point: ‘I’m a runner! It’s happened!’ If I had long hair, there would have definitely some slow-motion-ponytail-swishing action and toothy, sparkling smiles going on.
I quickly got a hold of myself though, ie:
6. The number of seconds ‘7’ lasted for. OK – maybe it was slightly longer (at least a minute?) but when my stupid, sabotaging brain kicked back in, that’s what it felt like (so sweet, yet so fleeting). On the upside, I now know ‘that feeling’ does exist (yay!).
This was also the point where I had to remind myself (yet again) that it takes time, effort and persistence, and to also not be so impatient for results.
6 is also the number of runs completed over the last two weeks – a mixture of speed work, treadmill, long runs and a group run. I’m trying to do three per week, and include some core work or strengthening stuff in-between.
5. The current PB distance. One of my goals is to run sub-30 minutes over 5km, and each week am slowly chipping away and getting closer. Tuesday night’s running group helped – there’s nothing quite as motivating as running in the dark, at the absolute rear of the pack, and having to speed up so as not to lose everyone and get left behind!
4. Days left to register for the 10km. Umm…yeah. So I haven’t registered yet. I’ll do it later today (or tomorrow). Promise.
3. Running things bought this week. It’s winter, so the two long-sleeved tops purchased were a must. I also lashed out and bought proper socks (man, those things are expensive!).
2. Running things left to buy this week. Black was not the best colour to wear while running at night. I did start out wearing a jacket with light reflector thingies on it (being safety conscious and all that), but stripped off around the 3km mark.
There was only a smallish section of the course that was unlit, but I now need to buy stick-on reflector tape and a light of some sort. Running in black is best left to the real ninjas.
1. Quite possibly the number of people left still reading this. *waves* Hi there, you! Aren’t you a bit lovely. 🙂
So that’s it. The eight-day countdown has begun.
I have a speech all prepared in the event I actually finish in one piece, and am also expecting a press conference and news cameras to drop by my house. Oh, and a write up in the local paper, if you don’t mind.
OK not really, but if my first non-stop 5km is anything to go by, there’s a chance I may be a tad bit excited. So while not a news feature, I will post an update on how it goes.
I think I’m actually looking forward to it.